In many ways, September is as much a time of new beginnings as New Year’s Day. Just ask any student! From new outfits and a new hairdo, to brand new schoolbooks and supplies, to, hopefully, a renewed attitude of determination to focus and excel in the days to come – yes, September brings all of that and more.
And don’t think that this time of renewal is reserved just for kids heading back to school! Nationwide, September is set apart as Healthy Aging Month, a prime time for seniors to take stock of their lives and take steps to improve their mental, physical and emotional health. The ideas are limitless! Try some of these tips to help yourself or a senior you know get started:
- Think back for a moment to the very best time of your life. How old were you then, and what about that time made it so special? Adopt the attitude you carried with you then and bring back that positive frame of mind.
- It may sound cliché, but think positive! Begin a list of your best attributes, and then read through and add to it regularly to stave off negative thinking.
- Take that positivity a step further by surrounding yourself with positive-thinking friends and relatives. Avoiding chronic complainers can do wonders for your outlook on life.
- Let your posture dictate your mood. Simply standing up straight with your head raised and putting a renewed spring in your step can do wonders to improve your mood.
- It’s a fact: people who smile more are truly happier. Even if you don’t feel like smiling, give it a try. You may be surprised at how the positive feelings follow – and you may even find yourself laughing out loud.
- Now that you’re smiling, keep that smile as bright and healthy as possible by staying on top of preventative dental care, including whitening your teeth if recommended by your dentist.
- Break the barrier of loneliness by exploring all that the world around you has to offer. Check out your local senior center for opportunities to serve in a volunteer capacity in your community, try out a new class or discover a new hobby. You’ll undoubtedly find others seeking companionship as well, and pave the way to some new friendships.
- Don’t forget about the most faithful and loyal friends of all: pets! Walking the dog can serve as a great conversation starter in your neighborhood. And if a quieter pet is more your speed, there’s certainly no shortage of senior cats who would love to share your home and your life. Or, offer to volunteer at your local animal shelter.
- Address physical ailments and concerns with a complete medical checkup.
- Discover (or rediscover) your inner artist. Try your hand at learning a new musical instrument, or take a painting class with a friend to open up a whole new creative dimension to your life.
At Nightingale Homecare, our passion is in brightening the lives of seniors with our Phoenix home care services. There’s nothing as rewarding as seeing a bright smile and a renewed twinkle in the eye of someone who has rediscovered joy and meaning in life. Want to learn more about how we can help your senior loved ones rekindle that spark with a little help from Arizona’s top caregivers? Call us any time at 602-504-1555!