It’s the story of a lifetime – your lifetime – and threaded throughout that story, through both the delightful and difficult memories, are your parents. Whether it’s your biological parents, adoptive parents or surrogate parents, they’ve helped to mold and shape you into the person you’ve become today.
Celebrate that gift this month, as America commemorates the role of parents on the fourth Sunday of July: Parents’ Day! Try using this opportunity to connect with your parents on a personal level with some of these tips:
- Be there. Nothing says “I value you” more than setting aside all other priorities and commitments and devoting some quality time to simply visiting and chatting away an afternoon. Include siblings, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, and create new memories while reminiscing about the good old days.
- Add some fluff. Want a guaranteed spark of joy? Arrange for a visit from a furry friend, according to your parents’ interests and particular situation, whether that means a bumbling, face-licking puppy or the purr of an older cat settled onto a lap. If you don’t have access to an appropriate pet visitor, contact Nightingale Homecare and we’ll see what we can do to help.
- Try something new. If your parents aren’t homebound, coordinate a new activity that you can experience together, such as a painting class, water yoga, maybe even skydiving! For the more reserved personalities, arrange for an evening out together to enjoy a play or concert.
- Pamper their palates. Remember Grandma’s incredible cranberry apple pie, warm from the oven and smothered in vanilla ice cream? And that perfect potato salad Aunt Sue used to make for every family picnic, with her special secret seasonings? Pull out Mom’s jam-packed recipe box and try your hand at recreating some traditional family favorites.
- Be sure to include the kids. Regardless of your plans, incorporating kids into the mix is a surefire way to win over your parents’ hearts. Have the children in the family create cards or personalized gifts, sing a song together in honor of your parents, or even put on a simple play or presentation just for them.
At Nightingale Homecare, we love honoring and celebrating our senior clients each and every day! Whether it’s through simple acts of hands-on care, such as personal care assistance, bathing, and grooming, or through friendly, companionable visits and transportation to appointments and activities, our focus is on enhancing our clients’ quality of life with dignity and respect.
For more information on how our professional, compassionate Phoenix home care services can help your senior loved one thrive, complete our simple online contact form or call us any time at 602-504-1555.