Pause for a moment and take a look around you, right where you are. Whether you’re sitting at a computer desk, or stretched out in a lounge chair by the pool, there’s undoubtedly beauty and brilliance within your line of vision. Our eyes are our windows to the world around us, but surprisingly, they can also provide clues to what’s going on inside of us. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), there are certain physical characteristics of the eyes that can be indicators of other health problems.
Keep an eye out for these symptoms:
- Bumps or spots: Small, red bumps (sties) that recur or linger for longer than three months, or brown spots on the eyelids, could both be indicators of varying types of cancer. Early detection is key to allow for treatment and to prevent spreading.
- Bulges: Bulging in the eyes could be the result of a thyroid problem, particularly if accompanied by symptoms of fatigue, blurred vision, weight loss and nervousness.
- Yellowing: A brownish/yellowish tint to the whites of the eyes can point to liver or gall bladder related issues, such as cirrhosis or hepatitis.
- Tearing: An eye that becomes suddenly watery or is unable to close can occur as a result of Bell’s palsy, temporarily paralyzing one side of the face.
- Blurriness: Blurry vision, particularly displaying in central vision as a dark spot, might indicate an issue with the retina, such as macular degeneration. When accompanied by pain in the eye, seeing halos around lights, and nausea, glaucoma could be the culprit. In either case, a comprehensive eye exam is recommended (and also recommended for all seniors each year, even without these symptoms).
- Cloudiness: Cloudy eyes are often the result of cataracts – the leading cause of vision loss in seniors, according to the American Foundation for the Blind.
With Nightingale Homecare, you can rest assured that in our care, your senior loved one’s health and wellbeing will always be our top priority. We provide professional Phoenix elder care services with supervision by registered nurses who are available around the clock. In addition, we offer a variety of companion and personal care services, tailored to each individual’s needs and desires, such as:
- Planning and preparing healthy meals
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Personal hygiene (bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, etc.)
- Assisting with exercise
- Transportation and accompaniment to doctors’ appointments, errands, and other activities
- Friendly companionship, sharing conversation, playing cards and board games, reminiscing, scrapbooking, gardening, etc.
Call us any time at 602-504-1555 to learn more, or fill out our simple contact form to let us know more about your specific needs and how we can help you enhance the life of your senior loved one!