The holiday season can be filled with joy and time spent with those we love the most; yet for many older adults, this time of year may be anything but merry and bright. The grief felt over loved ones lost, memories of past holidays, health concerns and more can lead to feelings of wistfulness, loneliness, and longing.
At Nightingale Homecare, the top providers of in-home care in Paradise Valley, AZ and the surrounding area, we care deeply about ensuring that older adults feel a part of holiday celebrations and can enjoy them to the fullest. These creative holiday ideas can help the whole family experience the beauty and joy of the holiday season together:
- Put out a request to all family members for copies of their favorite recipes, and compile them into a family cookbook, providing copies to each person. Choose several of the recipes to make together, and then enjoy the delicious results!
- Pile into the car and take a ride through the neighborhood in which your loved one grew up. Or, take an evening drive together around his or her current neighborhood to ooh and ahh over the holiday lights.
- Don’t forget to decorate! Your older loved one may be reluctant to set out holiday decorations, particularly if living alone or experiencing health or mobility difficulties. Come together with the family to help the senior make his or her home festive, taking time to reminisce over cherished older ornaments.
- Set aside a day of pampering with a ladies’ trip to the local spa for hair and nail treatment, and perhaps even a massage.
It’s important as well to take into consideration holiday safety concerns for older adults, for a variety of reasons: fall risks are elevated with all of the extra holiday decorations in place, changes to diet, and a disruption to routine, particularly for those with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia, which can cause stress. These safety tips can help:
- Walk through the home to assess for any extension cords or other obstacles in walking areas that could contribute to fall risk.
- Ensure there is sufficient lighting for the senior to clearly see to navigate between rooms. Often, holiday lighting is more subdued, which can be difficult for older eyes.
- If noise and activity levels become overwhelming, designate a quiet room where the senior can go to rest and relax.
- Choose a family member to serve as the senior’s companion during holiday get-togethers, to make sure his or her needs are fully met throughout the event.
The goal is to create new and lasting memories for the entire family while enjoying quality time together. And, Nightingale Homecare is always on hand to make the holiday season the very best it can be for the seniors you love! We offer a full range of both skilled nursing and non-medical assistance to help older adults thrive and enjoy life to the fullest. Contact us at (602) 504-1555 and discover how we can help with the most trusted in-home care in Paradise Valley, AZ and the surrounding areas – throughout the holiday season, and all year long.