When asked, most senior adults agree that they would prefer to age in their own homes and maintain as much independence as possible. And yet, most homes are not equipped to meet the needs of an older adult, leaving many unsafe. Unsafe homes lead to accidents or falls, resulting in over 2.3 million accidents involving seniors in their homes per year! Nearly one third of the senior population falls each year, with more than 70% of those occurring in their own home.
With Nightingale Homecare as your partner for Scottsdale senior home care services, your nurse or therapist will help identify potential hazards and make recommendations to keep you safe in your home. Therapists will also provide treatments and exercises to reduce fall risk by focusing on strengthening, balance, ambulation training with or without an assistive device, and energy conservation. Training to help keep you safe while getting ready for the day by bathing and dressing is also a priority.
Here are some genera tips your therapist or nurse will review with you to help ensure senior safety:
- Keep all your pathways clear of clutter and pets.
- Install smoke detectors.
- Keep emergency numbers within reach of your telephone.
- Keep fire extinguishers serviced and throughout your home.
- Use medications safety.
- Make sure that loose cords, such as telephone wires, are tucked under furniture and out of the way.
- Rearrange furniture to keep walkways clear.
- Remove all throw rugs or secure tightly to the floor and ensure there are no edges that could be a tripping hazard.
- Check all furniture for stability and ensure unsteady furniture is removed or repaired.
- Don’t walk over or around cords or wires.
- Avoid the use of extension cords and don’t place them over walkways.
- Lift up feet when walking and walk with proper equipment as prescribed (cane, walker, crutches, gait belt).
- Install automatic nightlights that turn on when the room is dark so that pathways are lit if you get up in the night.
- Make sure to use chemicals according to the directions on the package, and make sure that the containers are properly sealed when not in use. Drain cleaners, bleaches and strong acids can be dangerous if mixed, causing explosions or dangerous gasses.
At Nightingale Homecare, it’s our goal to help seniors achieve their desire to remain in the comfort of home through a full range of Scottsdale senior home care services. We’re always happy to provide a home safety assessment to make recommendations on how to reduce the risk of falls and other accidents. Additionally, our Paces Fall Prevention Program incorporates the expertise of our professional therapists, dietitians, social workers, home health aides and others to provide a well-rounded fall prevention plan that can be implemented to enhance safety even further.
Make home the safe haven it’s intended to be with a little help from your care partners at Nightingale Homecare! Contact us any time at (602) 504-1555 to learn more about our home care services in Scottsdale and the surrounding communities!
Warning: Use of undefined constant php - assumed 'php' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/ngcareadmin/public_html/wp-content/themes/phx/single.php on line 40