At Nightingale Homecare, we love to step out of the ordinary and help seniors enjoy opportunities for new and exciting endeavors; and what better time than summertime to try something new? With a professional home health caregiver on hand, there are a plethora of experiences to jump into, and memories to be made that will last a lifetime. Here are just a few of the many ideas to consider trying with your senior loved one:
When the Arizona heat requires us to stay inside, try turning off the TV and engaging in one of these fun and interactive activities together:
- Creative Crafts: Crafts are a wonderful way to span the generations and get everyone involved. One of our favorite ideas is creating a memory book with seniors. Visit the scrapbooking section of your local craft store to find assorted tiny mementos, ribbons, and other adornments, then settle in with your senior loved one and some photo albums. Walk through the memories in the pictures together, and select some that are especially cherished to include when creating his or her memory book. This activity has also been shown to be especially beneficial for seniors who are working through grief or loss.
- Make It or Bake It: Another great way to bring all ages together is an afternoon of experimenting with new recipes or creating tried and true favorites. Bring out the recipe box, or browse the internet for ideas, and let everyone pitch in to help – from chopping to measuring to stirring, there’s something for all ages and ability levels to do in preparing food. The best part? Taste testing the finished product together!
- Indoor Outings: Museums, libraries, stores, and movie theaters are all cool and comfortable in the heat of summer, and offer seniors the opportunity to get out and about without overheating.
There’s nothing like the beauty of nature, and when weather permits (early or late in the day, especially), try some of the following ideas – making sure there’s plenty of cold water available and that the senior is well protected from the sun:
- Get Growing: It’s incredibly satisfying to have a hand in growing and nurturing a garden, whether flowers, fruits or vegetables, and there are plenty of ways to make it easier for seniors to participate, such as raised gardens or standalone potted plants. The benefits of fresh air, low-impact exercise, motor coordination, and feelings of accomplishment are priceless.
- Pack and Park: There’s nothing like an old fashioned picnic in the park, watching a little league ball game or the children playing on the playground, dogs catching balls and frisbees, maybe even an outdoor movie or concert in the evening. Encourage the senior to share memories of picnics past, enjoy cold slices of watermelon and cups of chilled lemonade, fly a kite – the sky’s the limit!
- Uncover Buried Treasure: The thrill of a treasure hunt doesn’t wane with age, and for many seniors, taking a lightweight metal detector out in search of something hidden is tons of fun. Better yet, take several along and make a game of it with multiple family members, with awards for the biggest treasure, the smallest treasure, the first treasure found, etc.
Nightingale Homecare, the top rated providers of in home care Scottsdale seniors need, can help your senior loved ones live life to the fullest this summer and all year long! It’s our goal to ensure that older adults remain active and thriving, and we’re happy to provide transportation and accompaniment services to allow seniors to safely get out and about whenever and wherever they please. Contact us any time at (602) 504-1555 to get started on improving quality of life for your senior loved one!