If you listen closely, you may be able to hear it: the creak of attic doors opening, the dusting off of boxes packed away in storage, the jingling of bells being carefully lifted out. It’s time to deck the halls! And there’s no age limit on enjoying the beauty and tradition of holiday decorations. But there are some specific precautions to be taken when helping your senior loved ones prepare their homes for the holidays, particularly those with Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia.
Keep these tips in mind to allow seniors to celebrate safely:
- Lights: When choosing holiday lights, steer clear of those that twinkle and opt instead for steadily burning bulbs. The blinking on and off of lights can be disorienting and disturbing to those with dementia.
- Candles: There are a variety of electric and battery-operated candles available that can be used in place of the more dangerous, open flame variety.
- Clutter: With the addition of holiday decorations comes the potential for falls. Be sure to keep walkways (both in the home and outside) clear of extension cords, decorations, and gifts.
- Animations: Particularly for those with dementia, characters that move, talk, or sing can invoke fear. Stick to non-animated decorations if you suspect these may cause distress for your senior loved one.
- Imitations: Avoid decorating with artificial fruits, nuts, cookies, etc. which can be incredibly realistic and easy for those with Alzheimer’s or dementia to mistake for the real thing.
- Breakables: Fragile, glass ornaments and other breakable decorations, if used at all, should be placed out of reach of those with dementia. Choose sturdy, brightly colored, non-breakable options instead.
For more tips on keeping your senior loved ones safe this holiday season, call on the Arizona home care professionals at Nightingale Homecare! We love making the holidays merry and bright for seniors throughout the Phoenix area, and are here to help with a variety of hands-on assistance, such as:
- Light housekeeping
- Preparing special holiday meals
- Setting out and reminiscing over treasured holiday decorations
- Baking treats and creating holiday crafts and artwork together
- And so much more
We also provide a full range of home health care services, such as nursing, occupational, physical and speech therapy, and all of our services are provided by fully fingerprinted, background-checked, bonded, insured and trained care staff – always supervised by registered nurses.
Call us any time at 602-504-1555 to bring a little holiday cheer to your senior loved one. Happy Holidays!