The words we long to hear most after a surgical procedure or hospitalization are, “You’re ready to be discharged now!” There’s an incredible feeling of relief in arriving back home and simply settling into your favorite chair.
Yet there is often a period of recovery that requires a number of instructions to be followed before healing is complete, and to avoid the need to make a trip back to the hospital due to complications. For older adults in particular, it can be overwhelming to take care of picking up prescriptions, understanding and implementing any lifestyle or dietary changes, handling bandage changes and wound care, and much more. That’s where home care after hospitalization can help.
Engaging the services of a trusted in-home care agency is an important part of the recovery process. At Nightingale Homecare, our transitional care services actually start before a senior is discharged – and often even before the hospitalization occurs – to proactively ensure that each important detail will be tended to. In collaboration with the hospital’s medical staff, we create and implement a transitional recovery plan that can include help with to-dos such as:
- Making arrangements for follow-up appointments
- Putting together a list of medications, dietary restrictions, allergies, etc.
- Stocking the refrigerator and cabinets with healthy foods
- Establishing exercise routines
- Arranging for any medical equipment that is needed to be delivered to the home
- Outlining any possible medical issues and side effects
- And more
Once the senior is discharged, we can:
- Provide accompanied transportation home, getting the senior settled back in and watch for any changes in condition
- Pick up prescriptions and provide either medication reminders or medication management services
- Prepare healthy meals
- Ensure safety while bathing/showering, getting dressed, etc.
- Serve as a friendly companion for conversations, games, and fun activities
- Make sure the home is clean, laundry is taken care of, etc.
- Provide assistance with walking and transfers to prevent falls
- And a full range of skilled care services, such as:
- Blood draws
- IV treatments
- Checking vital signs
- Tube feedings
- Respiratory services
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapy
- And much more
With the help of Nightingale Homecare’s experienced and caring home care staff, older adults can reduce the stress that typically goes hand in hand with a surgical procedure or hospitalization, and focus on rest and recovery, right in the comfort of home.
To learn more about our home care after hospitalization services, contact us any time. We’re proud to have earned the reputation as a top provider of home health in Scottsdale and the surrounding areas, and we’re here to help the seniors you love recover as comfortably as possible at home.
You can reach us any time at (602) 504-1555 and we’ll be happy to visit you and share more about how we can help.