“It’s my responsibility – this is what families do, and besides, there’s nowhere else to turn.”
Has this or a similar thought crossed your mind when it comes to providing home care for an aging parent? Often, feelings of obligation are the driving force behind family members caring for elderly loved ones. And the other side of the coin is often guilt; if we don’t take on the caregiving role for Mom, what does that say about us? After all, she devoted her life to raising her children; isn’t it then the children’s turn to do the same for their parents?
When someone’s heart is simply not in caregiving, for one of many possible reasons, it’s important to take a step back and re-evaluate available options, rather than begrudgingly trying to handle everything alone. Nightingale Homecare of Phoenix suggests first working through the following questions:
- Am I doing this for the right reasons? Take an honest assessment of your motive in providing care. Is it because you’re the best person suited for the job? Are you closest in proximity? Are you the only family member available?
- Am I taking care of my own needs as well? Are you finding yourself overburdened and on the verge of burnout, unable to take time away for your own wellbeing?
- Is there someone I can share my feelings of ambivalence with? It’s important to find a system of support, whether that’s other family members, close friends, or a counselor or clergy member, to whom you can honestly express your reluctance to provide care.
If the answers to these questions reveal the need to make a change in care, one of these suggestions may help:
- Schedule a family meeting to openly discuss your feelings.
- Work together on a plan that takes into consideration the senior’s best interest, as well as his or her loved ones.
- Set and adhere to boundaries.
- Enlist the help of a professional in-home care agency, such as Nightingale Homecare.
At Nightingale Homecare of Phoenix, we understand how overwhelming it can be for family members to ensure that senior loved ones are safe and well cared for, on top of all the other responsibilities of life, and we’re here to help! Our trusted, experienced care team is adept at helping seniors enhance quality of life, while allowing their loved ones peace of mind in knowing the highest quality care is being provided.
Whether you could benefit from a little respite care to take a much-needed break, or full-time, around-the-clock home care is the best solution, take the first step and contact us at 602-504-1555 for a free in-home assessment or to allow us to answer any questions you may have.