Being in close personal contact with our senior loved ones is all part of providing care for them, but it also increases the risk of sharing bacteria and viruses. At Nightingale Homecare, we’re dedicated to keeping seniors safe, healthy and well by doing our best to prevent the spread of germs, and the best way to accomplish this is through effective handwashing techniques. As elementary as it may seem, keeping hands clean through good handwashing hygiene is one of the most important steps we can take to keep our senior loved ones – and ourselves – from getting sick, as so many diseases and conditions are spread simply through unwashed hands. As a leading home care Phoenix, AZ agency, we’re pleased to share our top handwashing tips.
When to Wash Your Hands
- Before and after caring for someone who is ill or presumed ill
- After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- Before, during, and after preparing a meal
- Before eating
- Before and after wearing gloves
- Before and after caring for a cut or wound
- After using the toilet
- After touching an animal, feeding an animal or tending to animal waste
- After touching garbage
How to Wash Your Hands
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Be sure to lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
When You Don’t Have Soap and Water
Washing hands with soap and water is the best way to reduce the number of germs on them in most situations. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs and might not remove harmful chemicals. Hand sanitizers are not as effective when hands are visibly dirty or greasy.
How to Use Hand Sanitizers
- Apply the product to the palm of one hand (read the label to learn the correct amount).
- Rub your hands together.
- Rub the product over all surfaces of your hands and fingers until your hands are dry.
Want more tips to help prevent the spread of germs, or additional resources related to providing the highest quality level of care for your senior loved ones? Call on the home care Phoenix, AZproviders at Nightingale Homecare! We’re always happy to help families improve quality of life for the seniors they love and offer a full range of personalized in-home care services to ensure older adults can safely age in place where they’re most comfortable: at home. Call us at (602) 504-1555 any time to learn more.
Warning: Use of undefined constant php - assumed 'php' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/ngcareadmin/public_html/wp-content/themes/phx/single.php on line 40