Isolation in older adults is more prevalent than we’d like to admit, and the effects can be devastating. The other side of the coin, however, is that the benefits of senior socialization are tremendous, including a reduced risk of cognitive decline, better physical and emotional health, and even the potential for a longer lifespan.
With life as busy and hectic as it is for families, and with many seniors experiencing mobility issues and other health problems, how can we ensure that the older adults we love have ample opportunities for socialization?
The Phoenix senior care team at Nightingale Homecare suggests the following ideas to consider:
- Seek out senior centers. With as many as 15,000 senior centers throughout the U.S., it’s likely there’s at least one in close enough proximity for your loved one to enjoy. Places of worship and other non-profit organizations often host groups of seniors more informally as well, and transportation is typically provided to and from the center, providing opportunities for shared meals, conversations, activities, exercise programs, outings and more. Currently 60% of older adults surveyed report that visiting the senior center is their only source of daily interaction with others.
- Learn something new. Lifelong learning helps protect cognitive ability, and the ideas for continued education for seniors are limitless! Local community colleges often offer low-cost classes for seniors, but also look into courses offered through the library, craft and hobby stores, religious organizations, and more.
- Take time to play! Everyone loves games, regardless of age. Invite neighbors in for board and card games, locate a bridge club, or investigate bowling groups, senior swim teams, or golfing get-togethers.
- Help another. Nothing is more rewarding than knowing you’re making a difference in someone else’s life, and there are plenty of ways within Scottsdale and the surrounding area to do so! Whether the senior is passionate about pets, children, veterans, or the homeless, there are bound to be volunteer opportunities available for your loved one.
- Pick up a new hobby. Help the senior discover or rediscover an interest such as painting, drawing, photography, knitting, playing a musical instrument, singing in the choir, scrapbooking, etc. and then search online for local gatherings of others who share that interest.
Most importantly, partner with the Phoenix senior home care team at Nightingale Homecare! It’s our mission to ensure that older adults thrive and enjoy life to the fullest. We’re always on hand to provide the friendly companionship that brightens each day for seniors, whether that involves sharing a cup of tea and conversation together at home, playing games and engaging in exercise programs together, providing transportation and accompaniment to any of the fun outings mentioned above, and so much more.
Call us at (602) 604-1555 to find out more about how we can boost senior socialization for someone you love with our full range of customized in-home care services!
Warning: Use of undefined constant php - assumed 'php' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/ngcareadmin/public_html/wp-content/themes/phx/single.php on line 40