For seniors who were quite active outside the home, suddenly finding themselves homebound can seem like a cruel prison sentence. Without their normal routine and hobbies to look forward to, again adults can easily start to feel useless and slip into depression. But with a little creativeness on their part and some help from a family member or a caregiver of elderly home care, seniors can regain their sense of usefulness by serving others.
Nightingale Home Care, a provider of elderly home care in Scottsdale and the Phoenix area, offers these tips on how to help others while homebound.
If your aging loved one has a fondness for crafts or can knit, sew or crochet try these ideas:
- Knit or crochet robes for hospital patients, nursing home patients, geriatric centers or the Red Cross.
- Knit slippers with non-skid pads for hospitals or nursing home patients
Not a seamstress extraordinaire? No worries, try a simple craft such as:
- Making greeting cards by cutting pictures from magazines, journals, etc. and gluing them onto folded paper, rubber stamp messages inside and place in new envelopes. A set of cards can be gifted a local veterans hospital, whose patients could send them to friends and family.
Other social services can be performed from the home including:
- A pen pal program with a class in a local school.
- A reminiscence club where each senior records one page of memories a week, written or recorded for their families.
- Assisting major non-profit companies with regular bulk mailing. Some organizations will deliver the boxes to be sorted and labeled, and then collect them later.
If your aging loved one needs help to continue to volunteer, consider hiring private nurses or caregivers in Scottsdale or surrounding Phoenix area like those at Nightingale Home Care, to assist your senior with various projects and help them maintain their independence. Give Nightingale Home Care a call (602) 504-1555 or contact us online to learn more about elderly home care or private nursing in Scottsdale, Phoenix and Paradise Valley.