Household Management: Trust and Support
In our ongoing effort to assist adult children in mastering the necessary elements to support their loved ones to age safely at home, the registered nurses at Nightingale Homecare have created this third in a 7-part blog series, focused on household management.
Keeping appointments, paying bills, and assuring household appliances are maintained can often become overwhelming for a senior. In addition, seniors are vulnerable to a variety of scams, which are a form of elder abuse. This abuse can have tragic effects on your loved one, not only financially, but also emotionally and physically.
In addition to a loved one becoming the victim of a scam, the telltale signs that your senior loved one may be unable to manage everyday tasks can include:
- Stacks of unopened mail
- Discontinued services to the home
- Sparse or limited food choices
- Neglect to personal care
- An unkempt house or lawn
This kind of personal/home neglect can also be a warning of early dementia or depression, both common in an elder living alone without support.
Try these tips to provide the support your loved one needs with household management:
- Assign a trusted family member or certified fiduciary to keep legal issues, bills, and a calendar of necessary financial obligations and payments in order.
- Involve the older adult as much as possible to encourage independence and involvement.
- Understand that at some point the appointment of a legal power of attorney (POA) may be necessary.
- If you suspect that your loved one is the victim of a scam, contact the Arizona Attorney General.
- To report elder abuse or suspected elder abuse contact Arizona Adult Protective Services.
- To find a certified fiduciary service to assist your loved one in managing his or her bills and assets, contact the Arizona Fiduciaries Association.
Nightingale Homecare is uniquely qualified in assisting your loved one to age safely at home. Nightingale’s qualified home care professionals are expert in providing individualized care and supportive guidance to your loved one. Our goal is to provide the guidance and care necessary for your loved one to remain safe and independent at home.
Serving families in the Scottsdale, Paradise Valley and Maricopa County areas since 1994, all of our services are customized to fit each person’s unique needs, and are available for as little as a few hours to full-time, around-the-clock care. For more information, complete our simple contact form online or call us at 602-504-1555.
Look for the next blog in this series on Medication Management: Accuracy and Adherence and experience success with helping your loved one age in place at home!
Warning: Use of undefined constant php - assumed 'php' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/ngcareadmin/public_html/wp-content/themes/phx/single.php on line 40