After a lengthy hospital or rehabilitation facility stay, family members and their aging loved one may find it difficult to proactively take the “next step” of choosing the proper post-acute service provider for their home care needs. If this happens to be the dilemma you face, facility case managers or discharge planners with helpful recommendations may provide welcome direction. However, some patients are finding that they are not assisted on making an informed choice on post-acute home care and instead, facility representatives are making the choice for them.
In this blog post, Nightingale Homecare offers a few highlights on the patient’s right to chose an elderly caregiver agency in and around Glendale, AZ. Home health care in Scottsdale , Phoenix , Glendale , Paradise Valley and beyond is based on standards of practice for case management.
All patients have the right to freedom of choice of providers for in home nursing care in the Phoenix Metro area and across the country. Discharge planners and/or case managers have legal and ethical obligations to honor this right.
Read more about government regulations in patient choice for home health care here.
There are a number of sources of this right as follows:
- All patients have a common law right, based upon court decisions, to control the care provided to them, including who renders it. Thus, when patients, regardless of payor source or type of care, voluntarily express preferences for providers, their choices must be honored, as specified in the Medicare guidelines.
- Federal statutes of the Medicare and Medicaid Programs guarantee Medicare beneficiaries and Medicaid recipients the right to freedom of choice of providers. When Medicare and Medicaid patients voluntarily express a preference for a home health agency, these choices must be honored.
The Balanced Budget Act of 1997 (BBA) requires hospitals to develop a list of home health agencies that meet the following criteria:
- Are Medicare-certified;
- Provide services in geographic areas where patients reside; and
- Ask to be on the list.
Patients cannot make choices about the care they wish to receive unless they have information about all applicable services available, including skilled home health care and private medical and non-medical care in Scottsdale , Phoenix and the surrounding areas. Discharge planners and facility case managers, therefore, have an ethical obligation to provide information about medical home health care and private medical/high tech care and non-medical care in Scottsdale, Phoenix and the surrounding areas, to all patients who may benefit from them.
At Nightingale Homecare, a provider of home health care in Scottsdale, and the Phoenix metro area, we know the comfort and healing power that comes with being home when recovering from a hospitalization, long-term illness or surgery. That’s why our top-rated services include everything from non-medical private custodial care to highly skilled medical care services. Our services range from a brief visit to 24 hour around the clock care, all provided in the comfort of your own home. Give Nightingale Homecare a call (602) 504-1555 or contact us online to learn more our caring staff is always available to assist you, 24 hours, 365 days a year, including holidays.
A positive outlook on life is important for everyone: studies have shown that an upbeat attitude often results in fewer illnesses and a longer life.
A recent study that looked at 598 seniors coping with disabilities found that those who feel good about aging healed 44 percent faster than those who did not. The study followed two groups of people over 70: one with a healthy opinion of aging, and one with more dismal views. Over 11 years, participants were asked to rate phrases like “decrepit” or “spry” as they felt they related to aging. The findings suggest that how we view the aging process could ultimately determine how we experience it.
In 2002, another study found that found seniors with more positive views of their aging process lived an average of 7.6 years longer than those with a negative views. These studies correspond with earlier findings that suggest seniors with positive age stereotypes had lower cardiovascular responses to stress and participate in healthier activities than seniors with negative age stereotypes. Studies from the Mayo Clinic back these statistics up, finding that people with a positive attitude make healthier lifestyle choices, such as exercising, eating well, and not smoking.
Taking all this into consideration, it’s clear that initiatives to promote positive age stereotypes can allow people to live more fully and independently later in life. If a loved one does require in home care, the caregivers at Nightingale Homecare can help. Nightingale’s senior care is based on empathy and understanding, and our caregivers work to promote and support as much independence as possible for your loved one. As a premier provider of in home nursing care, we understand the power of positive thinking as it relates to quality of life in seniors. If you’re looking for outstanding homecare, call Nightingale at (602) 504-1555 or contact us online.
If your parent, grandparent or loved one has reached a stage where they are no longer able to care for themselves or could just use an extra hand in completing everyday activities, it may be time to look for in home nursing care in the area. When selecting elderly home care in the greater Phoenix area, it’s important that you are comfortable with the company and the staff as they will be responsible for the wellbeing of your loved one.
Ensure that the home care company:
- Has served in the metro Phoenix area for at least 15 years
- Is Licensed by the Department of Health Services and Medicare Certified
- Insures and bonds their employees
- Performs multiple layers and national background checks on all staff
- Operates private duty under a Department of Health services state license and certification
- Provides on-going certified training on Dementia, Chronic Disease, elder care and chronic disease to their skilled & non-skilled staff
- Can provide a list of references consisting of: doctors, hospital discharge planners, other healthcare professionals, and present and former clients, who have experience with the agency
- Has a quality improvement program
- Has had few or no deficiencies on their last state survey
- Provides on going Case Management, a written care plan, and supervision by a Registered Nurse.
When selecting a home care company in the surrounding Phoenix area, you should make sure that they meet all of the above criteria to ensure that your parent, grandparent or loved one is receiving the very best care possible. High quality, Paradise Valley home care agency expertise will put you at ease knowing that compassionate staff members are providing the care and companionship that your loved one needs to increase independence and improve quality of life.
If you are interested in elderly home care, consider the services of the compassionate and professional staff at Nightingale Home Care. Our top-rated home care Phoenix, AZ agency has been providing medical and non-medical home care for nearly two decades. We care for our clients as we would expect our own families to be cared for, earning us an excellent reputation in our community. For more information on home care in the Phoenix metro area, please call home care Phoenix, AZ agency, Nightingale Home Care at (602) 504-1555 or contact us online today.
As parents, grandparents or other loved ones grow older, they may enter a stage where it is necessary to receive additional help from an in home care Scottsdale professional. Often times, these elderly individuals are hesitant about addressing this issue, as they have lived their entire lives independently and may take great pride in that independence , making it difficult to face the possibility of needing assistance with simple, everyday tasks. On top of that, they don’t want to be the cause of any worry or stress for their adult children, other family members or friends. For these reasons, it is important that you be on the lookout for signs, so you know the right time to provide your loved ones with a little extra attention from an agency specializing in elderly homecare in Scottsdale and the surrounding area.
If you notice any of the following signs in your parent or grandparent, it may be the time to consider home care suggests Scottsdale home care agency experts, Nightingale Home Care:
- Physical Changes. Decline in physical health can increase the risk of your loved one falling or suffering other serious injury. Look for changes, such as difficulty walking, maintaining balance and unsteadiness. If your loved one appears to be in a frail condition, it can be dangerous for he or she to do even the simplest tasks, so in home nursing care in Scottsdale would be beneficial.
- Inattention to Personal Hygiene. If you notice that your loved one is not as well kept as normal, this is a sign that he or she may benefit from elderly homecare in Scottsdale. Those individuals who neglect personal hygiene may have a strong body odor, unkempt or unclean hair, and obvious inattention to oral care or soiled clothing. While these elderly individuals would like to keep clean, it may have become too difficult to complete the daily tasks to do so. Having in home nursing care in Scottsdale ensures that your loved one can safely maintain a regular hygiene schedule, which improves his or her health and wellbeing.
- Lack of Nourishment. Your friend or relative may have lost the ability to regularly prepare food at mealtimes due to lack of energy or other physical conditions. Getting to the grocery store weekly to purchase fresh, healthy foods can be a challenge, meaning the refrigerator and cupboards may not be stocked or there may be many items that have passed their expiration date. Not eating properly can lead to lack of nourishment and dehydration, which causes cognitive issues, depression and other health concerns. A Scottsdale homecare agency will provide your loved one with help grocery shopping and preparing meals as well as providing a companion to sit down with at mealtimes, which may make eating more appealing.
- Inability to Manage Medications. Taking the prescribed dosage of medicine is essential to maintaining health, especially for elderly individuals, with chronic or on-going medical issues. Many times, people of older age are prescribed a number of different medications with different dosage schedules. Prescriptions and dosages can easily become mixed up, which can lead to missing or overdosing on medications. When this happens, severe health problems can occur. In home nursing care in Scottsdale ensures that your loved one stays on his or her prescribed medication schedule.
- Lack in Household Upkeep. When visiting with your loved one, look for things, such as stacks of dirty dishes and laundry, overflowing trashcans and appliances that have been left turned on. If the living spaces are dirty and more cluttered than the person would normally allow, this is a sign that they need some extra help keeping up with the demands of managing a home. Home care in Scottsdale will make sure that your loved one lives in a space that is regularly cleaned and clutter free.
It may be difficult to determine whether or not your loved one needs in home nursing care in Scottsdale. If you notice any signs that your elderly relative or friend may be having a hard time completing daily activities, including those not listed above, it is definitely worth considering home care in Scottsdale. Not only will it make your loved one’s life a lot easier, it will also bring you peace of mind knowing they are being well taken care of. At Nightingale Home Care, providing in home care Scottsdale seniors need and deserve is what we do best. We provide only the highest quality in-home care to ensure that your loved one maintains independence and quality of life. Please call the Scottsdale home care agency today at (602) 504-1555 or contact us online for more information on in home nursing care in Scottsdale and other cities throughout the Valley.
The demand for services offered by home care companies in Scottsdale has significantly increased over the years. The healthcare industry has adjusted to this demand, providing a large selection of home care companies that offer varying levels of in-home care, from Home Health to Private Duty. Whatever the home care needs your loved one may have, Scottsdale home care companies can provide a caregiver with the appropriate skills, experience and training to help your loved one live at home safely.
If your loved one has a physician order for specialized medical attention requiring skilled services, such as a registered nurse or physical therapist, and is homebound; this would be considered “home health care”. These home health care services are typically covered by Medicare or other insurance. Home health care includes services such as, wound care, dementia care, and medical monitoring for patients with chronic conditions including heart disease, chronic lung disease and diabetes. They also have the skill level required to administer injections, provide a rehabilitation plan following surgery, and teach patients how to manage their chronic conditions safely in the home.
Private Duty care providers are companies who help those individuals in need of short or long-term home care who prefer to stay in the comfort of their own home, rather than in a care facility. Private duty services range from custodial care to highly skilled nursing care, during periods ranging from a brief visit, to 24 hours around the clock care. Private Duty caregivers can also perform light home management, errands, meal preparation, housekeeping, or transportation to places, such as the grocery store, pharmacy or doctor’s office. Medical or ‘skilled’ Private Duty offers care to those patients who require medically intensive care for long-term chronic conditions, or skilled nursing care required following a hospital stay, or at the end of life. Nightingale Home Care’s Private Duty division is licensed by the Department of Health Service and all care is managed by a Registered Nurse Supervisor. Private Duty home caregivers will give you peace of mind knowing that your loved one is being well taken care of.
The Arizona Business Journal and Ranking Arizona consistently rates home care Phoenix, AZ, Nightingale Home Care among the finest Phoenix home care agencies. If you’re not sure about the type of care and the services you require, a Nightingale Home Care representative can answer your questions then custom-fit a plan to best fit your needs. Please call Nightingale Home Care today at (602) 504-1555 or contact us online for more information. Our caring staff is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We look forward to helping you!