A diabetes diagnosis is life-changing, no doubt about it. But it’s also fraught with myths that well-meaning friends and family members will likely be quick to offer up as advice. With the season of holiday eating upon us, and since food often plays the lead role in those myths, we at Nightingale Homecare want to arm diabetics, and those who care for them, with the true facts about diabetes:
- Sweets, in moderation, are ok. According to the American Diabetes Association, a limited amount of sweets, in conjunction with a healthy diet, are just fine for those with type 2 diabetes.
- Excessive sugar does not cause diabetes. Its cause is genetic, combined with lifestyle choices – meaning someone who is obese is certainly more at risk for developing type 2 diabetes, but blood sugar isn’t the same as the refined white sugar we’re stirring into our coffee. Too much sugar can result in someone gaining weight, but we can’t place the blame for diabetes on it.
- Insulin is not just for diabetics. We all need insulin – it’s just that those with diabetes are either not producing enough insulin naturally through the pancreas, or are not able to process it correctly.
- Complications from diabetes are not inevitable. The key is managing blood sugar levels and remaining under the regular care of a physician.
- People of all weights can be diagnosed with diabetes. Diabetes is often considered to affect only those who are overweight, but, particularly for older adults, obesity doesn’t come into play.
Most importantly, those with diabetes should be encouraged in knowing that in spite of the long-term nature of the disease and its potential complications, those with diabetes can live normal, active, fulfilling lives. And, the professionals at Nightingale Homecare are here to help seniors with diabetes do just that!
The services we offer run the gamut from companionship and help around the house to complex medical care by our highly trained nursing staff, including:
- Infusion services (IV antibiotics and fluids, pain management, nutrition and more)
- Ventilator/respiratory services (oxygen, tracheotomy care, BiPAP, CPAP and more)
- Wound care and blood draws
- Training on management of chronic illnesses
- Blood draws
- Tube feedings and stoma care – and much more
Contact the most trusted Phoenix senior care specialists at Nightingale Homecare for a free in-home assessment and to have any questions answered by our professional care team. Call us at 602-504-1555, or simply complete our online contact form and we’ll be back in touch with you soon.